Watercolor Walkthrough for "Fox Spirits"
The following is a step by step walkthrough of how I painted "Fox Spirits."
I hesitate to call this a "tutorial" because it's not a description of
techniques or definitive method precisely. It's more of a revealing of
my personal process as I work on a painting.
And in actuality, my method of working is usually much more haphazard
than how you see it depicted in these pages. I've attempted to rein
back to put some semblance of order to this, so that the entirety can
be broken down into "steps."
- Materials - Starting out
- The Process
- Step 1 - The Sketch and laying the groundwork
- Step 2 - Starting to paint
- Step 3 - Building up the background
- Step 4 - Developing the background
- Step 5 - Underlayers for the foreground
- Step 6 - The figure
- Step 7 - The clothing
- Step 8 - More clothing
- Step 9 - Starting the foxes
- Step 10 - Finishing the foxes
- Step 11 - Finishing touches!